Transfusion Safety Officer up to $10,000 Hiring Bonus
UC Davis Medical Center
Location: Sacramento, California
Type: Full Time
Hospital, Public and Private
Internal Number: 56430
UC Davis Medical Center
Transfusion Safety Officer up to $10,000 Hiring Bonus
The Transfusion Safety Officer (TSO) is responsible for managing the Patient Blood Management Program to assure that all transfusion-related activities are designed to ensure patient safety, comply with all Hospital Policies and Procedures, and meet or exceed CDPH, Joint Commission, FDA, AABB, and other accreditation and regulatory agency standards. The TSO collaborates with all levels of clinical and medical personnel to formulate strategies to evaluate transfusion management processes and offering recommendations for improvement. The TSO will assist in establishing/administering policies, processes, resources and procedures to support blood management and utilization models that meet regulatory standards and guidelines based on evidence-based transfusion medicine practices. In addition, the TSO will establish a process to track, audit and analyze key performance metrics and will offer recommendations to address areas of concern to reduce costs, improve safety and treatment efficacy. The TSO will also serve as a resource to nurses, medical, and laboratory staff for issues related to blood management and administration, transfusion safety, and prepare and present of education materials to accomplish this task. Responsibilities also include the preparation of the annual Patient Blood Management Program budget that promotes cost containment; monitor revenue production and cost savings created by the blood management program; provide scheduled updates to the Transfusion Committee, as well as Medical Staff, Laboratory, Nursing and Hospital Quality committees/meetings on issues related to blood management and transfusion safety; work in conjunction with the Blood Bank Medical Director, Blood Bank technical leadership, Blood Bank Quality Specialists, Transfusion Committee and Nursing leadership to establish, monitor and maintain safety protocols and procedures which comply with hospital policies and regulatory requirements; develop annual goals for the Patient Blood Management Program in conjunction with the organization’s quality plan; maintain effective communication and coordination with all disciplines that interface with blood management and transfusion activities; and support the organizational culture for Service Excellence and practices the Service Excellence standards to all customer groups. The TSO will function with a high degree of autonomy.
Apply By Date
October 19, 2023; interviews and recruiting process may occur at any time
Applicants are encouraged to upload license and certification if required of the position.
• Possess bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) or ASCP Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification.
• Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) or other healthcare profession; or a combination of comparable clinical education and/or experience.
• Minimum of three (3) years of direct work experience in patient transfusion clinical setting or minimum of (3) years of direct work experience in a Transfusion Services Laboratory or Blood Bank setting as a certified MLS.
• Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills to manage multiple levels of highly-complex information and responsibilities, to quickly assess problems, and to develop and implement timely and effective solutions.
• Advanced interpersonal skills for collaborating effectively with all levels of clinical and technical staff and representatives of external regulatory agencies and for mentoring lower-level QI staff.
• Ability to analyze, evaluate, interpret and correlate data, to prepare reports using applicable software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio), and to present reports to various departmental and hospital committees.
• California state issued Clinical Laboratory Scientist license or nursing license (current and renewed as required)
• Four or more years of Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine/Blood Infusion experience.
• Possess technical knowledge of Transfusion Services Laboratory testing and processes OR
• Possess technical knowledge of Clinical Infusion Practices and processes.
• Knowledge of state, federal, hospital and departmental regulations and requirements.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements pertaining to the Transfusion Service
• Possess outstanding written and oral communication skills including the ability to lead discussions and deliver group presentations and prepare concise reports and action memos.
• Demonstrated effective listening and questioning techniques.
• Knowledge of quality assurance, quality system essentials, quality improvement, benchmarking, metrics, data analysis, and audit processes.
• Ability to recognize aberrant processes that could lead to failures.
• Possess excellent strategic thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Possess the ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships and to collaborate on interdepartmental projects.
• Excellent project management skills with proven ability to effectively perform and timely manage quality improvement projects.
• Ability to collect data using Laboratory Information Systems (LIS), EPIC EMR, RL Solutions.
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine is a large, diverse multi-site department whose mission is to create a healthier world through bold innovation in public health, education, technology and research. UC Davis is leading the way in diagnosing, treating, and ultimately preventing disease. Pathology brings these efforts together with education and patient care to transform the field. This position sets the highest standards for professionalism and competency in providing high quality customer service, diagnostic and therapeutic care to patients within UCDHS and its affiliates. Our laboratories are licensed by the State of California, certified by CLIA, accredited by College of American Pathologists (CAP), AABB, and Foundation for Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT), and located in three distinct facilities: Surgery and Emergency Services Pavilion (SESP); Pathology Building; and the Specialty Testing Center (STC). The department is one of UCDMC’s largest ancillary services with annual gross revenues of over $415M, expenses of approximately $65M, and more than 350 overall employees in the department’s clinical and academic sections. The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine’s mission is to provide high quality patient/physician services, to maintain the excellence of the educational programs, and to perform scholarly research and development when appropriate. These objectives are to be met within the limits of resources available with emphasis on cost effectiveness and innovation.
• Salary or Pay Range: $7,991.67-$15,825.00 (May be eligible for up to $10,000 hiring bonus)
• Salary Frequency: Monthly
• Salary Grade: 25
• Payroll Title: Qlty Impv HC Spec 4
• Number of Positions: 1
• Appointment Type: Career
• Percentage of Time: 100% - Full Time
• Shift Hours: 8 hours day shift
• Location: Surgery and Emergency Services Pavilion
• Union Representation: No
• Benefits Eligible: Yes
• Hybrid/Remote/On-Site: On-Site
• High quality and low-cost medical plans to choose from to fit your family’s needs
• UC pays for Dental and Vision insurance premiums for you and your family
• Extensive Maternity and Paternity Leave Benefits
• 14 paid Holidays annually
• Generous vacation and sick time accrual
• Continuing Education (CE) annual allowance
• Paid Time Off for Professional Development Training
• Access to free professional development courses and learning opportunities for personal and professional growth
• Wellness and on-site Employee Assistance Program including access to free mental health services
• Supplemental insurance offered including additional life, disability, short/long term disability, pet insurance and legal coverage
• Retirement benefit options including 401k + employer match or Pension, 403B, 475B and Deferred Compensation options for eligible roles
• UC Davis cares about building a community, which is why we provide resources to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion as well as Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to support our staff
• Learn more about our benefits and eligibility rules around our benefits here
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Must be able to work variable schedule as needed.
• This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
• As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs, as may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we’re solving life’s most urgent challenges to bring a fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow from every challenge we take on and we don’t just maintain - we improve.
We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant organization means understanding and valuing both our individual differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions come from the most diverse minds, and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our Principles of Community, our Clinical Strategic Plan and strategic vision for research and education, and our latest efforts to outgrow the expected.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Because we want you to be seen, our recruiting process at UC Davis fosters authenticity, diversity, and inclusion. Studies have shown that some people may not apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Each unique role at UC Davis has a set of requirements and you could be perfect for this role, or you could be perfect for the next role! Don’t meet all the requirements? We still encourage you to apply! #YouBelongHere
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at: