In your pivotal role as an Associate Community Engagement Specialist, you will work within a team of professionals to build and support community engagement relationships and outreach. You will work extensively in the areas of community and patient recruitment, as well as research team support and consultation. The main goals of the Associate Community Engagement Specialist are to work collaboratively with and through groups of people affiliated by geographic proximity, special interests, or similar situations to address issues affecting their wellbeing. You will build trust, enlist new resources and allies, create better communication, and improve overall health outcomes as successful projects evolve into lasting collaborations.
About the Department:
The Vanderbilt Coordinating Center (VCC) provides comprehensive, central support for a diverse platform of clinical and translational research projects. The VCC first began in 1989 under the direct leadership of Dr. Gordon Bernard. Its initial focus was on providing coordinating center support for investigator-initiated trials overseen at Vanderbilt. In 2016, with the addition of several large, innovative clinical trial grants within the Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (VICTR) and due to an ever-growing need to provide more specialized, flexible support to Vanderbilt investigators, a need surfaced to reinstate the VCC. For more information, please visit https://vcc.vumc.org .
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Facilitate conversations between diverse groups of community/patients and research teams around sensitive topics of health and healthcare.
Develop and manage social media postings including content, frequency and engagement with community and patients.
Actively demonstrate facilitative leadership to foster productive teamwork through coaching and mentoring.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT (NOVICE)
- Identifies and builds professional relationships with local and national community-based organizations through appropriate networks, associations, and leaders that have an interest in building academic-community research partnerships. Plans and implements community engagement outreach and relationship building, including recruiting community/patient stakeholders, data collection, reporting and follow-up with participants. Practices the community engagement outreach and relationship building model through participation in regional and local trainings.
- Consults, advises, and educates researchers, clinical providers and community organizations that are interested in incorporating community engagement research principles into a new or ongoing project. Educates community partners on methods for effective collaboration throughout the research process, community engagement research methodology, results dissemination, and ethical issues in community engaged research. Contributes to community and researcher education and outreach activities via collaboration innovation webinars and other forums. Brings researchers and community partners together to share their knowledge, skills, and resources with a common goal of improving community health.
PATIENT/PARTICIPANT RECRUITMENT (INTERMEDIATE)
- Develops and implements social media recruitment plans for community/patients/participants by utilizing multi-tiered and culturally tailored materials and messaging. Educates the community on the study before recruiting for participation. Ensures researchers effectively engage with key community stakeholders to identify research questions and produce results that are relevant to the community. Participates in community events and activities. Invests in the community and leverages relationships in order to build trust, enlist new resources and allies, and create better communication, with the overall goal of improving overall health outcomes.
DATA COLLECTION & ANALYSIS (NOVICE)
- Performs data collection through gathering and measuring information on variables of interest. Analyzes data by inspecting, cleaning, transforming, and modeling research data with the goal of highlighting useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting decision making.
COMMUNICATION OF RESULTS (NOVICE)
- Utilizes multiple strategies to disseminate research findings. Illustrates the impact of research and how it meets the needs of both the researcher and the community. Shares knowledge by an appropriate means (e.g. publications, conferences, workshops, web-based activities, etc.). Makes sure that information is disseminated back to all levels of the community/clinic organization. Inquires about the community's preferred communication method (e.g., community forums, reports, web-based, etc.), and makes sure data are translated into the preferred language of the community.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.