Kaiser Permanente-Washington Permanente Medical Group is seeking a Part Time to Full Time Care Chat Physician or Physician Assistant to join our WPMG Care Chat team for virtual care.
This position requires an MD/DO or PA-C with excellent clinical and communication skills, a high degree of empathy, and an intrinsic motivation to solve problems for patients. When presented with a challenging medical or logistical issue, seeks to resolve as much as possible and to set up downstream care teams for success. Must be experienced in investing in relationships as the best path forward in getting good work done.
Care Chat providers engage with members in an open field, text based and fast paced environment to solve member's problems; strong typing skills are a must. Care Chat is a new approach to care delivery for KPWA and requires a fresh outlook from the incumbents and your colleagues around new ways of thinking, solving problems, and providing medical care. Successful candidates value and demonstrate the following principles:
1. Responsive - we demonstrate to patients that we are always present (<=30 sec)
2. Relationship - we communicate effectively to create positive emotional states
3. Resolution - we solve problems here and now if we can and think creatively to resolve more and more issues in the future.
This position will require coming into Renton Campus at times for team meetings or trainings.
Care Chat offers a flexible work site (home/medical center hotel station) and allows providers open scheduling process. Care Chat is a 24/7 business and shifts vary from 4-8 hour shift increments. All providers are required to complete an equal percentage of weekend shifts, actual number/hours of shifts dependent upon FTE. Weekend shifts are shared by other Care Chat providers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities 1. Serve as the first contact for KPWA patients seeking online care: a. Respond to chat inquiries within target time windows b. Remain engaged with patients throughout their chat time c. Document visit, plan of care, diagnosis, and patient instructions, all visible to patient through Open Notes d. Commit to working shifts across different days and times (including some evenings and weekends)
2. Interpersonal capabilities: a. Comfortable and committed to developing and following best practice of Medical Chat team. Standard dot/smart phrases, escalation pathways, and communication standards, will be developed by the team and expected to be used by all so patients receive consistently great chat experience b. Strong communication skills through chat (written dialogue), including: i. Build relationship and rapport through empathetic language, for example ii. Able to consistently reference reviewing chart/ history iii. Can demonstrate understanding of where patient is, and proposed plan to get them to a better place iv. Confident and comfortable with making recommendation toward resolution through chat, often without all desired information v. Lead patients to definitive actions c. Embrace the unique nature of Care Chat and how it is different than the face to face and other virtual clinical work WPMG teams do
3. Technical capabilities: a. Excellent computer skills, including: i. Strong foundational understanding of computer desktops, navigation to key tools (Skype, Epic, CirrusMD, web based reference sources, etc.), and problem solving ii. Strong typing skills including: 1. Grammar & punctuation 2. Speed 3. Voice recognition software 4. Minimal error rate 5. Efficient and effective use of Epic, including a. Concise chart notes, and research skills
4. System Navigation skills: a. Well versed in integrated care delivery system architecture, including Primary Care, Urgent Care, CareClinics, and other on demand options. b. Understands and engaged in communication across teams and departments (e.g. staff messaging to PCP or other stakeholders in patient's care). c. Able to act to make services truly integrated: i. Complete referrals as needed ii. Prescriptions, with preferred routing iii. Connect patients directly with resources, when needed (e.g. clinical pharmacy on chat) iv. Willing to work downstream into other silos to improve communication, lead time, and experience (e.g. register a patient with CareClinic and write a clinical note in their system)
5. Clinical skills: a. Experienced clinicians with excellent diagnostic and pattern recognition skills b. Ability to probe efficiently for risk factors suggesting urgent/emergent escalation c. Ability to respond to patient questions in the level of detail they prefer d. Close adherence to evidence based practices around diagnostics and treatment (e.g. safe use of antibiotics)
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge base consistent with broad spectrum of acute and chronic conditions one would encounter in Primary and Urgent Care settings.
Candidate should also be well-versed in navigation of KPWA clinical services and organizational structure.
Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
In our local communities and across the nation, Kaiser Permanente sets the standard for respectful care. With multicultural staff, equity, inclusion and diversity councils, medical interpretation resources, outreach efforts, educational programs and more, Kaiser Permanente puts people first in our medical centers and beyond.
As part of Kaiser Permanente, Washington Permanente Medical Group (WPMG) seeks to create equity in our communities, eliminate health disparities, and always put patients--the heart of everything we do--first.
Following the guidelines in our National Diversity Agenda, every member of our team strives to:
Provide culturally responsive and appropriate medical care to improve the health and satisfaction of all people in our increasingly diverse membership
Recruit and retain clinicians and staff that enhance our workforce
Grow our membership by providing exceptional service and clinical care to all communities in our region
Creating a diverse workforce, an inclusive environment, and equitable opportunity for employment, growth, and advancement are deeply linked to our mission, our business, and our economic future. WPMG continues to add programs that build and maintain a workplace where we engage with our members, communities, and each other--with dignity, respect, and cultural understanding.
Equal Employment Opportunity
As part of our commitment to our employees and the members and patients we serve, we integrate diversity into all aspects of our operations. Maintaining a workforce with industry-leading levels of diversity through deliberate planning, development, and outreach is critical to fulfilling our mission, sustaining our business objectives, and providing the best level of care to our members and patients. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.