JOB TITLE: Professor, Precision Health; and Director, Value Evidence and Outcomes
LOCATION: Bethesda, Maryland
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
As part of a significant expansion of its innovative and patient-centered programs in genomics and precision health, Geisinger has launched a national initiative, based in the Washington, DC area. Geisinger National Precision Health accelerates implementation in genomics and data science and develops novel national partnerships to broaden Geisinger’s impact in precision and population health. Geisinger National Precision Health is committed to exploring and developing the scientific evidence base to greatly accelerate adoption of genomics into healthcare, to implement measurable change in the practice of healthcare, and to develop and implement national policies and best-practices. Geisinger serves as a national model for implementing a new focus on healthcare that emphasizes seamless integration of research and clinical practice, anticipatory and preventive medicine, and investments that emphasize population-based “health care” instead of “sick care”. By design, the Geisinger National unit borrows a culture and emphasizes entrepreneurship and competencies from startup companies, biotechnology, and other emerging technology companies.
To advance this effort, Geisinger National seeks candidates for the position of Director, Value Evidence and Outcomes. The successful candidate will be a champion for health economics and outcomes research and value evidence at Geisinger National Precision Health and will be accountable for the development of short-term and long-term evidence to support the value proposition of Geisinger National’s precision health offerings.
The individual should possess a Ph.D., M.D. (or equivalent) in a relevant field and should qualify for a faculty appointment at the rank of full Professor.
This position will report to the Director, Geisinger National Precision Health.
The ideal candidate will have at least 15 years of progressive experience in responsibilities in health economics and outcomes research and implementation.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as an active member of the Geisinger National Precision Health leadership team, working interdependently with clinical, health policy, data analytics, and business development leads.
• Design and drive a strategic plan to build Geisinger National’s health economics and outcomes research capabilities, focused on assessing the value of precision health within and across health plans and systems.
• Develop robust, real-world evidence to support economic value propositions and reimbursement of precision health at scale at Geisinger and nationally, including major peer-reviewed publications.
• Establish relationships with payers, purchasers, health plans, and health systems to develop, test, and implement strategies that support patient/member access to precision health interventions.
• Advance the use of implementation science in health systems to assess precision health outcomes and apply insights as part of learning healthcare systems.
• Facilitate the development of relationships between payers and Geisinger’s research enterprise to help identify areas of common interest for partnership to support broad definitions of value and a long-term perspective.
• Bring powerful professional network with ability to establish/nurture connections with precision health stakeholders representing diverse backgrounds, professions, and knowledge of genomics.
• Work with leadership team to actively solicit new business for Geisinger National Precision Health, including assisting with marketing presentations and proposal development, as well as participating in feasibility discussions relating to specific project proposals.
• Demonstrate thought leadership and represent Geisinger National Precision Health at key meetings, functions, and conferences, as prioritized by leadership.
• As relevant, participate in genomics-related committees to remain abreast of cutting-edge opportunities to advance precision health and the mission of Geisinger National.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of 15 years of related professional experience demonstrating progression in responsibilities in health economics and outcomes research and implementation.
Doctoral degree (M.D. or Ph.D.) in health economics, biological, or medical sciences required.
Demonstrated experience in health economics and outcomes research, genomics, and payer policies required.
Successful background in patient and broad stakeholder engagement.
Professional experience in executing strategic plans strongly preferred.
Prior experience in supervising management staff and personnel required.
Experience in obtaining research funding through public/private grants and contracts.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in a research environment. This position will require some travel, domestic and international, as assigned.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES:
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Geisinger is known for its focus on caring and innovative programs including the ProvenCare® best-practice approach to maximize quality, safety and value; ProvenHealth Navigator® advanced medical home; Springboard Health® population health program to improve the health of an entire community; ProvenExperience™ to provide refunds to patients unhappy with their care experience; and Geisinger’s MyCode® Community Health Initiative, the largest healthcare system-based precision health project in the world. With more than 215,000 volunteer participants enrolled, MyCode is conducting extensive research and returning medically actionable results to participants. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.