Job Summary : The Department of Biostatistics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is seeking a statistical analyst who will independently and/or as member of a research team contribute to the statistical aspects of multiple genetic epidemiological research projects. The research seeks to identify the genomic underpinnings of common complex diseases, with emphases on kidney disease and hypertension.
Effective communication skills as well as efficient data administration and statistical analysis competencies are critical to the success of this position because they will be used in establishing procedures, writing specifications, programming, documenting and analyzing data, and preparing manuscripts for presentation and publication.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
* Develop and apply bioinformatics tools to process, analyze, and interpret high throughput datasets, including DNA genotype and next-generation sequence data. * Apply biological and statistical knowledge to draw rigorous, actionable conclusions form complex data sets. * Communicate findings internally and externally. * Collaborate with groups across the institution to support research projects. * Participate in the preparation of written reports and oral presentations summarizing data analysis results, including detailed description of statistical genetic methods, detailed analysis of results, and synthesis of conclusions from summary tables. * Take initiative to acquire new statistical or programming skills as needed.
Minimum Qualifications : This position requires a master's degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, bioinformatics, genetics or a closely related field. A minimum of one year experience in one of these fields is strongly preferred.
Preferred experience and skills: * Proficient with STATA or R, and modeling procedures in the Unix, Linux and Windows environments. * Proficiency in creating, modifying, and maintaining Unix scripts (shell/perl/python) to perform database management and statistical analysis in parallel. * Familiarity with statistical genetics software packages, e.g., PLINK, LOCUSZOOM, and METAL.
Additional Information: This is a full-time position.
Salary is dependent upon education and experience.
Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
The Department of Biostatistics at VUMC was founded in 2003, tasked with the mission of bringing biostatistical expertise to the Vanderbilt community. With the unflagging support of the School of Medicine, and the diligence and creativity of our faculty and staff, we daily fulfill our mission: engaging in cutting-edge statistical methodology research, providing collaborative support and educational resources for biomedical and basic science researchers across the university, and training a new generation of biostatisticians. For more information, please visit https://www.vumc.org/biostatistics/ .
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 1908849
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.