The applicant will assist in the biological and biochemical analysis of the renin-angiotensin system. Work will focus on the immunologic, biochemical and metabolic effects of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) on myeloid cells. Several studies from our group has shown that ACE over expression in myeloid cells markedly enhances the function of macrophages and neutrophils (reviewed in Angiotensin-converting enzyme in innate and adaptive immunity. Bernstein KE, Khan Z, Giani JF, et al. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2018 May;14(5):325-336). Our group has recently received an NIH grant to study the mechanism by which ACE causes this effect. We will be pursuing a number of independent avenues, including the effects of ACE on the metabolism of cells. The applicant will be expected to do:
1. Planning, designing, and executing experiments. Includes data interpretation and analysis, and troubleshooting in areas of molecular biology, recombinant techniques, biochemistry, cell culture, RNAi, in vivo techniques, microscopy and molecular imaging. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
2. Regular meetings with PI to discuss experimental plans and results.
3. Attendance and participation at regularly scheduled lab meetings and conferences.
4. Presentation and dissemination of research through oral presentations at internal and external meetings, and writing original research articles for publication in scientific journals.
5. Applies for appropriate and eligible fellowship funding and contribution toward acquisition of lab funding for gene and drug delivery research.
6. Participation in training of junior lab members.
7. Contribution to general lab maintenance.
8. Upkeep of well-organized lab book.
9. May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
10. May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
11. Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
12. Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
13. Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
14. Operates and maintains equipment and instruments
Since its beginning in 1902, Cedars-Sinai has evolved to meet the healthcare needs of one of the most diverse regions in the nation, continually setting new standards in quality and innovation in patient care, research, teaching and community service. Today, Cedars-Sinai is widely known for its national leadership in transforming healthcare for the benefit of patients.Cedars-Sinai is one of the largest nonprofit academic medical centers in the U.S. with 886 licensed beds, 2,100 physicians, 2,800 nurses and thousands of other healthcare professionals and staff. Clinical programs range from primary care for preventing, diagnosing and treating common conditions to specialized treatments for rare, complex and advanced illnesses. In addition, Cedars-Sinai serves the community through its Medical Network, which includes the highly rated Cedars-Sinai Medical Group and Cedars-Sinai Health Associates. Cedars-Sinai has consistently been named one of America’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, has received the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 18 years in a row for providing the highest quality medical care in Los Angeles, and has the longest running Magnet desig...nation for nursing excellence in California. Cedars-Sinai is a leader in the clinical care and research of heart disease, cancer and brain disorders, among other areas. Pioneering research achievements include using cardiac stem cells to repair damaged hearts, developing minimally invasive surgical techniques and discovering new types of drugs to target cancer more precisely. Cedars-Sinai also impacts the future of healthcare through education programs that encompass everything from highly competitive medical residency and fellowship programs to a biomedical science and translational medicine PhD program, advanced training for nurses and educational opportunities for allied health professionals. Most notably, Cedars-Sinai demonstrates a longstanding commitment to strengthening the Los Angeles community through wide-ranging programs that improve the health of its most vulnerable residents.