Morgan Consulting Resources, Inc. has been retained to conduct a search for the Chief Operating Officer for Teachers Health Trust, located in Las Vegas, NV.
About the organization:
Before the formation of the Teachers Health Trust, the health benefits of the licensed employees were managed by the Clark County School District (CCSD). The sustainability became a concern, though, when, in the short span of fourteen months (July, 1982 - September, 1983), the licensed employees were subjected to three rate increases of 23.9%, 17.9% and 29.4%, respectively.
In response to this rapid series of rate increases, the Clark County Education Association (CCEA), then known as the Clark County Classroom Teachers Association (CCCTA), initiated negotiations to resolve the ballooning costs of healthcare. The result of these negotiations was the establishment of the Clark County Classroom Teachers Association Welfare Benefit Trust (CCCTA WBT), the entity that you now know as the Teachers Health Trust.
The formation of the Trust shifted the duties of management and administration of the benefits from the CCSD to CCEA. The purpose of the shift was to empower the licensed employees to take charge of and make their own decisions in respect to their healthcare benefits. This reorganization resulted in the CCSD's function becoming, as it remains today, ministerial; making contributions on behalf of the licensed employees as well as providing necessary payroll deductions, eligibility lists and employment verification.
The CCEA's establishment of the Teachers Health Trust included the formation of the Board of Trustees, comprised exclusively of licensed employees, to serve as the organization's governing body. The formation of the Board of Trustees allowed CCEA to relinquish administrative and executive decisions to those whom the organization was formed to serve. From then to present day, the president of CCEA has served on the board as a non-voting observer. The President appoints the eight trustees, each serving a three-year term with the possibility of consecutive terms. The Board of Trustees are entrusted with the responsibility of employing a staff to manage daily operations and administer the benefits plans; directing overall operations; establishing policies; assessment and approval of any changes to the benefit plans; management of organization funds; and approval of expenditures.
The Trust services over 35,000 plan participants in Clark County and employs a staff of 12. For more information, visit: www.teachershealthtrust.org.
To achieve proven excellence in the delivery of Health & Welfare Benefits of the highest quality for our participants.
About the position:
The Chief Operating Officer will have the far-reaching responsibility to oversee the daily performance, demand accountability and stimulate the collaborative production of targeted outcomes. The position will be accountable directly to the THT Board and will oversee contracted vendors: 1) third party administrator and 2) provider network managers- as well as the THT staff that manages accounting, enrollment, hospital contracts, dental program, PBM and other services. Concurrently this position will be accountable directly to the THT Board, responsible for keeping them informed of overall performance while establishing a respectful and trusting relationship that facilitates strategic discussions.
The THT Board is determined that service and health care access will, once again, be the best in the market. In that effort, the THT has embarked on a health delivery program that includes PCMHs, Health Advocacy, and Population Health. The successful candidate will have proven experience with progressive and innovative healthcare delivery. While the immediate focus will be on superior customer service, the Chief Operating Officer will leverage data, technical expertise, product knowledge, business maturity and leadership to resolve broad business issues and build the foundation for an innovative health delivery. This position will develop and lead interdisciplinary teams of THT and vendor staffs.
It is essential that this position effectively communicate business operations status, complex challenges, and opportunities to the THT Board, its constituencies, and stakeholders. Ultimately in this role, the THT requires a Change agent capable of advancing the organization towards the Board's “future state” vision while managing and optimizing the “current state.”
The ideal candidate will have not-for-profit experience and a passion for improving the health of teachers in our community.
Short term goals:
• Develop measurement and effectiveness tools to monitor all vendors providing services to Teachers Health Trust and report to the THT Board;
• Participate in the implementation and management of Patient Centered Medical Home model; and,
• Ensure compliance with internal Human Resources procedures.
• Health plan leadership experience from a Taft-Harley, union health trust, a self-funded employer, and a third party administrator or managed care organization.
• Expertise and understanding of claims administration, provider networks management, provider negotiations, and medical management and customer service.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional leadership and relationship building skills.
• Ability to lead in a fast pace environment and ensure customer centricity.
• Analytical ability and experience applicable to health plan management.
• Engage and motivate staff, vendors, and providers in pursuit of a common outcome.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or applicable field of study, an advanced degree is preferred.
• A minimum or 5 years of experience in a leadership role in a union health trust, Taft-Harley, managing a self-funded group, with a third party administrator or managed care organization.
• Proven history of leading a health plan (or division of a health plan) to the realization of successful outcomes.
• Experience in building and managing dashboard reporting and the use of data to optimize decision-making and influence performance improvement.
• Experience in leading an organization or multiple departments and vendors in a health care environment.
If you or someone you know has the qualifications we seek, I would love to talk with you. Thank you for your time.
Rosie Saenz, Executive Recruiter
Morgan Consulting Resources, Inc.