Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The institute for Medicine and Public Health at Vanderbilt exists to connect research and teaching with policy and practical solutions. We are charged with re-imagining and amplifying collaborations among more than 50 departments, 292 faculty, 208 staff, 110 graduate students, more than 21 centers, and all ten schools. The institute reaches across the state, nation, and the global community to translate knowledge into better health. For more information, please visit www.vumc.org/medicine-public-health/ .
In this rewarding role, you will assist the Medicine and Public Health administrative team, which provides pivotal support to multiple academic departments, centers, and institutes. Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Serve as a member of the research administration team
Manage pre- and post-award accounting functions for assigned areas in compliance with sponsor, institution, and federal guidelines and deadlines
Monitor compliance for research activities
Analyze and develop budgets, prepare financial projections, and coordinate allocation of project effort among multiple funding sources
Coordinate with team to develop and facilitate contract agreements with industry and sub-recipient partners
Serve as a resource to faculty and institute leadership on matters related to grants management and clinical trials administration
· Develops projections to model the financial impact of programs and projects. Supports efforts of customers to sustain results from program and project implementation.
· Investigates and analyzes financial transactions and/or regulations in support of programs and projects, and/or reviews monthly results and budget variances.
· Designs, develops, and modifies financial forecasting models and simulations for programs. Accumulates and analyzes data from existing or established databases.
· Presents financial, statistical, and operational reports. Analyzes budget impact of implemented programs/projects and provides input for financial projections.
· Analyzes and reports on the effects of proposed federal and state statutes and regulatory actions which may impact financial planning.
· Analyzes future trends and indicators in related areas of interest. Reviews data to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
· The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
· Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
· Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
· Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
· Team Interaction: Acts as a "go-to" resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 4 years of relevant experience
· Extensive experience in research administration
· Strong experience in pre- and post-award research administration
· Experience with clinical trials administration
· Strong experience with accounting and financial responsibilities
· Knowledge of spreadsheets and database applications
· Professional work style with high level of problem solving skills
· Communication skills reflecting a composed and experienced demeanor
· Additionally, successful candidates will possess and demonstrate extraordinary attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously while remaining helpful and courteous, be extremely organized, efficient, team player and self-starter.
· Monday-Friday, 8-5; flexibility extended and required based on business needs
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.