The mission of the Bureau of Tuberculosis Control (BTBC) is to prevent the spread of tuberculosis (TB) and eliminate it as a public health problem in New York City. The BTBC goals are: 1. To identify all individuals with suspected of confirmed TB disease and ensure their appropriate treatment, identify on a regimen of directly observed therapy. 2. To ensure that individuals who are at high risk for progression from latent infection to active disease (e.g., contacts of active cases, immunocompromised individuals, recent immigrants from areas where TB is widespread receive treatment for latent TB infection and do not develop disease.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- Perform histories and physicals, evaluate laboratory and microbiologic data and other radiological studies to determine if a patient needs treatment for tuberculosis disease or infection.
- Supervise or formulate medical treatments and interventions, including complex regimens for patients with drug resistant and multidrug resistant TB.
- Monitor and ensure patient compliance during treatment.
- Participate in the implementation of patient care protocols for care and treatment of latent TB infection or active TB disease in the BTBC chest centers.
- Oversee work of other City Medical Specialists, health care providers and BTBC staff in the evaluation and treatment of tuberculosis.
- Become an integral member of the case management team, perform systematic reviews of patient cases and contact investigation.
- Participate in contact investigation and evaluating clients for disease or preventative therapy.
- Act as a consultant to community doctors and other health care providers in all aspects of tuberculosis.
- Attend conferences, symposiums, seminars, and meetings as appropriate.
- Write standard and special reports as assigned.
- Participate in agency wide emergency response activities.
Minimum Qual Requirements:
Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of New York; and either:
a) Valid Board Certification issued by the appropriate American Specialty Board in any specialty area required by the agency; or
b) Current approved application on file for admission to the certifying examination given by the appropriate American Specialty Board in any specialty area required by the agency.
In addition, individuals must have, one year of satisfactory experience practicing in the specialty area.
- Bilingual abilities: English/Chinese (all dialects) and/or English/Spanish or any other second language would be considered
- Supervisory Experience
- Knowledge of Public Health
- Good computer skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be willing to work Saturdays.
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 308996.
The New York City Health Department is known around the world as a center of bold innovation. With over 200 years of leadership in the field, we're also one of our nation's oldest public health agencies. The challenges we face range from obesity, diabetes and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction and substance abuse, and the threat of bioterrorism. We're tackling these issues with innovativ...e policies and programs – and getting exceptional results – but our work is never finished. Your NYC Health career brings big responsibilities and unparalleled opportunities for growth.